Wednesday, 24 July 2013

22 and 23 July Littlehampton and Worthing

I appear to have lost a day - we are further into our holiday than I thought - drat this cold I have acquired. Not to bore you with the details, but I basically spent a day zonked out on cold n flu / panadol  shivering with fever and have little recollection! I am/have been suffering from "fuzzy brain".
Part of the 'longest bench' on the foreshore

This is a rehabilitation place on the 'city limits' with Rustington


Local going for a walk

Lots of crabs and their holes on the flats - strange conversation overheard from 2 grown women: W1 "its where they push the sand out to make their hole" W2: "Really, I've always thought it was seaweed poo". Fail for her Science Teacher!

The boys were fascinated by the beach huts. They wanted to know what they were and I had real difficulty keeping them away from people who had theirs open!


I did do some university reading whilst the boys amused themselves in front of the TV. Around 4 pm I felt a little better and we went for a walk up along the boardwalk which is about 2 blocks from here. We walked to the 'village limits' - until we reached the "Welcome to Rustington" sign and then as it was low tide we worked our way down the pebble beach and onto the mudflats. After ice-cream and a short visit to the playground for the boys I had reached my limit. Dinner and bed!
Pond in Littlehampton

Swans being fed on the river

The River walk

Today I felt well enough to take a short 1/2 day trip. So, just before lunch we set out to walk in the opposite direction along the foreshore and up the Riverwalk in an attempt to find an easier way to get to the station. From there we easily caught a train to Worthing which is the next 'large' village on the train line to Brighton. There is a cinema there and the plan was to visit the shops and get some things that we can't easily get in Qatar and then go to the cinema. Unfortunately, the boys behaviour during the shopping part of the venture meant that we returned early, without a movie >:(

I'll let the photos show you Worthing. Hopefully the cold is past its worst so we can get on with some of our longer trips.

Town Hall

One of 2 War Memorials in Worthing. Its easy to see where the "whole generation lost" came from and how devastated these villages must have been during WW1, when you see the number of names on this for one small town, particularly when the same surname appears 4 or 5 times. WW1 names on the upper part - on all 4 sides, same number of names on each side.

Tabernacle

Christchurch

One of several old stone houses located next to Christchurch

Pavillion on the waterfront

Waterfront Drive

Shopping Mall area

No comments:

Post a Comment